This Week in Congress: May 12 — 16
The House is out of session this week.
Senate Analysis: This week the Senate will continue work on the Energy Savings and Industrial Competitiveness Act (S. 2282). Debate on the bill, which opposed by Heritage Action and numerous conservative groups, has been less about substance than Senate procedure; specifically whether Senators will be allowed to offer amendments. The debate over amendments is likely to spill over into the debate over so-called tax extenders, which are expected on the Senate floor later in the week. That debate could highlight a growing rift between President Obama and some Senate Democrats how to approach expiring tax provisions.
Major Floor Action
- S. 2282, Energy Savings and Industrial Competitiveness Act (also known as Shaheen-Portman)
- H.R. 3474, which will serve as a vehicle for the Senate’s tax extender package
Major Committee Action
- College Athletes and Academics will be the subject of a hearing in the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee
- Surface Transportation Reauthorization Act will be marked up in the Environment and Public Works Committee
- Boko Haram will be the subject of a hearing in the Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee on African Affairs