Cloakroom: October 31 – November 3
House Cloakroom: October 31 – November 4
Analysis: This week the House will take up two bills to reduce regulations on capital. Additionally, the House will vote on legislation relating to wireless taxes as well as protecting Peace Corp workers from sexual assault.
Major Floor Action:
- HR 2940 – Access to Capital for Job Creators Act
- HR 2930 – Entrepreneur Access to Capital Act
- HR 1002 – Wireless Tax Fairness Act
- S 1280 – Kate Puzey Peace Corps Volunteer Protection Act
Major Committee Action:
- The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will hold a hearing on “EPA Clean Air Rules.”
- The House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources will hold a hearing on “North American Offshore Energy.”
- The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs, Stimulus Oversight and Government Spending will hold a hearing on “Issues with Government Investment in ‘Green’ Energy.”
- The House Financial Services Subcommittee on Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit will hold a hearing on “Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Assessment.”
- The House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Middle East and South Asia will hold a hearing on “US Policy Toward Afghanistan and Pakistan.”
Senate Cloakroom: October 31 – November 4
Analysis: This week the Senate will continue work on the “minibus” appropriations bill that includes Agriculture, Commerce, Justice, Science, Transportation and Housing and Urban Development funding bills. Last week the Senate was unable to finish the votes on all the amendments that were offered and so will complete them this week. The Senate is also expected to take up another portion of President Obama’s jobs plan. This section is expected in include $50 billion for infrastructure spending, $10 billion for a new infrastructure bank, and a 0.7% surtax on individual filers making for than $1 million dollars.
Major Floor Action:
- HR 2112 – Agriculture, Food and Drug Administration and Related Agencies Appropriations Act (includes Commerce, Justice, Science, Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development)
- The infrastructure section of the President’s jobs bill
Major Committee Action
- The Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on African Affairs will hold a hearing on “China’s Role in Africa.”
- The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee will hold a hearing on “Ten Years After 9/11.”
- The Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on European Affairs will hold a hearing on the “Implications of the European Debt Crisis.”
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a markup on bill to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.